Solar Project, Research Paper Example
Words: 637Research Paper
The Solar Project will be based upon the New Jersey Institute of Technologies (NJIT) energy system. This project where the stated goals are to significantly reduce energy costs through the implementation of upgraded solar panels.
Figure 1 Solar Project House
Fig 1 to the right provides a visual interpretation of a house that has been equipped with a roof of solar panels. The system is based upon the installation of the right amount of photovoltaic and hydrothermal solar panels in order to create an energy efficient home. The objective being to find the right balance between affordability and that of energy production. NJIT wishes to prove that it does not have to rely upon the National Power Grid and can become more self-sufficient in its energy policies. (Green Energy Centre)
The University has set itself a mission to be viewed as a technical leader in the practical use of sustainable green energy sources. The University is planning for investment in the solar panels that will be funded by the University, the state of New Jersey and Alumni. It is estimated that the project will commence on January 2nd, 2013 with a commit date planned for November 14th, 2013. It is estimated that the planned duration of the project will be 470 days with a budget of $600,000 to complete. The timeline for the project will commence with the availability of funding where the initial activities of concept designs, conducting of site surveys, submission of loans and grants will be undertaken. (Weinstein)
A time line has been incorporated in order to show the sequence, progress and timeline of the project development.
Planned Start date = January 2nd, 2013 Planned Completion date = September 2014
Elapsed period 470 days. Budget cost of $600,000
- Obtain Funding for the project
- Completion of concept designs and site surveys
- Submission of loans and grant applications
- Development of Project Plan
- Detailed Design specifications
- Detailed Budget plans (costs)
- Construction of drawings
- Bills of Materials
- Evaluation and selection of suppliers and contractors
- Negotiate contract terms and receive materials
- Bills of Materials and procurement
- << Margin for Error >>
- Close Project
Planning based on a high level representation of events for the purpose of this proposal.
The following personnel are expected to be required for this project:
- Project Manager
- Design Engineer
- Implementation Team – Will be subcontracted via a procurement process
- QA Manager
- Installation Team – Will be subcontracted via a procurement process
The estimated budget for the project has been calculated as $600,000
Work Breakdown Structure
- Project Initiation $10,000
- Project Analysis and Design $50,000
- Procurement of Materials $300,000
- Construction $200,000
- Testing and QA $10,000
- Implementation $30,000
Total Estimated Cost $600,000
Results and Outcome
The Project is essentially aimed at demonstrating the following results and outcomes:-
- Proof of concept for a sustainable renewable energy project
- Ability to deliver a practical and affordable solution that has commercial viability
- To deliver the project on time, within scope and within budget/cost parameters
- To show a return on investment i.e. a viable project
- To achieve prestige and recognition for the University (NJIT); hence gaining recognition as a technical leader in renewable green energy resources. Possible winning of awards for recognition of the project.
- Provision of an academic platform that demonstrates the capability and resources of the University in this field.
- To demonstrate practical workable solutions for housing and other commercial applications
The state of the art project will enable NJIT to showcase its technical expertise as a technical leader in the development of renewable green energy resources. It will show the public how practical and affordable solutions can be developed that are both affordable and have commercial viability. The wider applications illustrate the resources and capability that the University research team can bring to these type of construction projects.
Green Energy Centre. Solar Power New Jersey Companies. 2005. http://www.greenenergycenter.org/14386/solar-power-new-jersey-companies. 25 6 2012.
Weinstein, Sheryly. NJIT Taps into Solar Energy to Power New Campus Center . 18 3 2005. http://www.njit.edu/news/2005/2005-107.php. 25 6 2012.
Time is precious
don’t waste it!