Survey, Research Paper Example
Words: 502Research Paper
The aim of this research study is to determine the relationship between extended inpatient stays for nursing home debilitated patients in the hospital and nosocomial infection, MRSA, in Los Angeles, California hospitals.
A survey research encompasses selection of a sample from the specific population along with administering questionnaire pertaining to the issue being research; establishing a method for analyzing data retrieved from the questionnaire and how results will be displayed for publication. Before designing the questionnaire, however, variables must be identified and defined. There are usually two sets of variables dependent and independent. This survey research asks the question, ‘what is the relationship between extended inpatient stays for nursing home debilitated patients in the hospital and nosocomial infection, specifically MRSA in Los Angeles, California?’(Shaughnessy, Zechmeister & Jeanne, 2011).
The independent variable in this research is extended inpatient stays since it seeks to qualify dependent variables nursing home debilitated patients in the hospital; nosocomial infection andMRSA in Los Angeles, California.Precisely, these dependent variables represent the outcome/ effect of independent variable/s which are the causes. Consequently, a tentative statement could readnursing home debilitated patients in the hospital; nosocomial infection and MRSA in Los Angeles, California cause extended hospital stay (National EMSC Data Analysis Resource Center, 2013).
A survey involving nurses working at MRSA in Los Angeles, California facility could be conducted utilizing patient’s data regarding extended stays related tonursing home debilitated patients in the hospital and nosocomial infection. As such, a questionnaire could be designed for nurses to fill out at the end of each shift for a period of one month, which could produce some data on the phenomenon (Munn & Drever, 2004).
Please see survey example in Appendix1.
Munn, P; Drever, E.Using questionnaires in small-scale research: A beginner’s guide. Glasgow, Scotland: Scottish Council for Research in Education.2004. Print.
National EMSC Data Analysis Resource Center.Do’s and Don’ts of
Questionnaire Design in Survey Research.NEADARC position paper. 2013. Print
Shaughnessy, J.; Zechmeister, E.; Jeanne, Z.Research methods in psychology (9th ed.). New
York, NY: McGraw Hill2011. Print
Appendix 1: Survey/Questionnaire
Diagnosis upon admission:-
Nosocomial infection/MRSA acquired during stay: Yes/No
Date of admission:-
Date of discharge:-
Section 11- Health care provider’s impressions
Please tick true/false
- Nursing home debilitated patients are acquiring MRSA before being admitted to hospital?
- Since working in this hospital that nursing home debilitated patients are becoming infected with MRSA?
- Most nursing home debilitated patients are already infected with MRSA upon admission.
- Nursing home debilitated patients are acquiring MRSA after being admitted to hospital.
- A problem exists regarding nursing home debilitated patients becoming infected with MRSA in the hospital.
- A problem exists regarding nursing home debilitated patients becoming infected with MRSA in the nursing home.
- Hospital employees are responsible the nursing home debilitated patients to become infected with MRSA in the hospitals.
- Nursing home employees are not responsible for nursing home debilitated patients to becoming infected with MRSA in the nursing homes.
- Lack of proper hand washing causesnursing home debilitated nurses; physicians, nurses, certified nursing assistants to being infectedwith MRSA.
- Improper use of personal protective equipment such as gloves, mask, gown, and/or eye protection by nursing home debilitated nurses is responsible for MRSA spread among staff.
Time is precious
don’t waste it!