One of the most recent projects which I participated was entirely work related. The project was on employee training on business philosophies and ethics. The topic of the training was dubbed “ethics among employees for business success”. The program took a period of two weeks whereby all the employees of the company from the top management and middle management were given the great opportunity to participate in the training. The training was very enjoyable since it was well planned and organized by the human resource department. All the activities during the project were very important, however, the most noticeable activities were experienced at the close of the project. These activities are outlined in the bullet list as shown below.
- Administration of assessment test by the trainer to test whether the participants understood the lessons
- Marking of the training role call to identify those participated and those missed the training program.
- Distribution of leaflets containing the organization’s business ethics and philosophies
- Portfolio showcase from different participants in the training program to illustrate what they learnt
- Analysis of actual against planned training target of the project by the trainer with a close assistance from the trainees. This was important to enable the learners to establish what they had learnt and compare with the expectations of the trainer.
- Annals documentation of events, processes, expenditures and meetings by the training committee
- Collection of training facilities by the training staff
- Payment of training allowances to the training participants
- Lastly the ultimate closing point was a word of prayer from one of the participants.
Based what I have learnt, there some activities that were overlooked during at the close of the project. These activities should have included in the program due to important role that they during any formal organizational training. These activities are as shown in the bullet list below.
- Final testing for each participant ensure ascertain whether the training objectives are attained.
- Encourage role plays among the trainees to enable memorize the issues covered in the training. Role plays also enable trainees to easily adopt the expected changes.
- Updating the training materials to incorporate any changes witnessed during the training exercise.
- Post training meeting between the trainees, the trainers and the human resource department to highlight any arising issue during and after the training.
- Encourage individual self assessment among the trainees before the end of the training program.
- Assessment of the project communication modalities and participation of both the trainers and the trainees
- Reevaluation of training scope to determine whether the anticipated objectives are attained and also help in identification of any changes during the training exercise
- Communication of training results to the participants and to the organization to enable organization and the participants identify the significance and impacts of the training.
The above activities were omitted due to the following reasons, poor planning of the training scope, the inadequate timing of the training program since the organization did not want to lose much production time in training the employees and lastly lack of proper coordination between the organizers of the training and the trainers. Nevertheless, in the absence of these factors, the omitted activities should have been included in the training program since they play an important role in improving training performance.