Home Wireless Network Securely, Speech Example
This is to present the class with the importance of putting up a home network and how it could be secured effectively. This presentation shall also try to expand on how securing a home network could be done based on particular research on specific references both online and offline.
The class would be a specific target audience for this presentation since everyone is expected to be interested in putting up home internet networks for the sake of completing school works as well as engaging in recreational social networks.
Importance of the Topic
The establishment of a home-defined wireless network has become one of the most common if not the most important requirements in regular homes. Due to the intensified use of the internet, even homes have become hot spots for areas where worldwide web connections are expected to exist. Having an internet service that connects one particular home to the worldwide web then is considered to be a great advantage for many individuals who can actually afford the said service. Relatively though, the accumulation of such service also involves the home to specific dangers and negative situations. One of which is the issue of network security.
Given that the setup is wifi, it means that the network’s connection could be accessed by other users [at times even by those outside of the house, given that they are within the approximate range of distance from the router]. This is the reason why it is very important to learn about the most common and essential ways to establish a secure wireless network setup.
To introduce the topic, I would present the class with the statistics regarding homes having their own home network connections and the percentage that is currently at risk for malicious users and malwares that may attack the whole private files of a home-computer due to the invasion of online viruses.
Supporting Data and Reference:
Source: Federation American Scientsts. http://www.irational.org/APD/cyber/netstats.htm. (Retrieved on September 8, 2013).
The diagram shows that a considerable number of households in America depend on home networks for their internet connectivity options; in the aim of improving the competence of such connections, the need to secure the networks becomes a necessity among most subscribers noted in the diagram.
True, the internet has become a common need, even for families, to have in their own homes. Relatively, the growth of worldwide involvement with the use of internet made it necessary for homes to establish their own connections with ISP programs. Paying for such type of service for the sake of establishing a home’s capacity to establish a more efficient manner of communication and simply being connected online is a requirement that almost every household is expected to take into consideration. Nevertheless, if any family decides to establish their own home internet network, they should also be able to measure the balance on how they are to protect themselves from possible malicious users online. Viruses that could directly come from the internet could endanger the private files of the family which then should be given attention to, hence, it is important that in the process of establishing a home network, such issue should be handled effectively. The availability of software programs that are designed to help novice users of the home networks to establish protection for their setups is now getting specific attention from those who decide to establish such home-based connection. Taking advantage of such provisions would then allow both novice and expert computer users to enjoy the internet and get the best benefits from it as much as they could without the fear of being exposed to malicious users or malwares that could actually be found online. All these protective measures are dedicated to keeping the privacy of homes intact while also giving them the chance to access the world’s most expansive source of information. Yes, the benefit of the internet is strong enough to build a society, however, without the consideration on how the conditions of security is established to protect a family’s privacy while being connected online, such benefits of the internet could be fully jeopardized.
Faure, Jean-Philippe. “IEEE P1901 Draft Standard for Broadband over Power Line Networks: Medium Access Control and Physical Layer Specifications,” IEEE Standards Association, http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1901/. (Retrieved on September 5, 2013).
Greg Holden, Lawrence C. Miller. (2011). Home Networking Do-It-Yourself for Dummies. John Wiley and Sons.
Wangerien, Brian. “The Challenges of Wi-Fi.” Communications News. Encyclopædia Britannica. Web http://www.britannica.com/bps/additionalcontent/18/21597846/The-challenges-of-WiFi. (Retrieved on September 5, 2013).
Three Potential Questions
- Why do we need to have an internet network at home? What are the benefits of it?
- What specific dangers could an internet home network face?
- How could we make sure that the network set at home is properly secured?
Procedures to Consider:
- First to note on the process of assuring the network’s security is the choice of equipment to be used for the setup. The modem to be used as the main source of the wifi internet connection should be strong enough as well as complete with setup management tools that could enable the user to specifically direct the network’s accessibility for specially authorized users. The wireless router should also be specifically compatible with the modem which would enable the user to manage the operation of the network at a much easier and effective manner.
- The next factor to consider is the positioning of the router. The router is the primary source of the internet signal which is supposed to be distributed within a controlled distance. In a home, it is most effective to place the router at a central location. This will enable users of the internet from specific areas of the house to access the worldwide web easier where the connection would actually function at its best.
- Third matter to give attention to is the series of securing operations that should be taken into account to make sure the network could be accessed only by authorized users inside the home. One process to take note is the regular changing of default user name and password. This will make it harder for outside intruders to access the network and utilize the internet. Another process to give consideration is the setting up of network key which would serve as the setups protection. This option of protecting the network is close to dealing with file cabinets with keys and safe-combinations. This way, only authorized individuals or users would actually be able to access the network and use the internet connection it serves. This option is also considered as one of the most user-friendly operations that allow novice users to setup their own protective keys to make sure of the network’s safety.
Other Options of Network Protection
To further strengthen the protection of the network, it is highly recommended that a network firewall be established. This is completed through the aid of a software program that shall specifically stand as guard to the network against malicious users. Through this manner, the network could avoid malicious access from hackers as well as be protected from viruses that could be accessed online. There are instances when those surfing or browsing the internet accidently ump against online viruses which puts the entire network including all the other users connected to it in relative danger.
Overall, the idea of protecting a home internet network is supportive of the idea of establishing a more secure home. Usually, when the term ‘home’ is being talked about, privacy comes into mind. Hence, in an agreeable equation of logic, it is just right to consider that it is highly important for home internet networks to be private and specifically accessible only to authorized users. Passwords and encryptions are specifically among the most important elements used by programmers and computer experts to find a way to protect local home networks from malicious users.
Time is precious
don’t waste it!